Having a dust and dirt-free home is every homemaker’s ultimate dream. A clean house not only looks lovely but is also healthy. You might have noticed that even though you vacuum your carpets regularly, mop and dust all the surfaces, but still very often your family members’ are down with allergies.
That’s because you missed out on cleaning something that’s an important part of the house, the blinds. A clean and dust free blind not only gives a clean view of the world outside, but also helps to keep allergies away.
Cleaning Plan for Blinds: Lightly dusting the blinds daily might not be enough for a healthy environment at home. It is important to have a proper cleaning plan in place. Along with daily dusting, a thorough cleaning every 3-4 months is very important. It helps to remove all germs and allergens build-up on your blinds. Mark the day on your calendar, arm yourself with the basic tools for cleaning and get down to the task.
Variety of Blinds: Today, a wide variety of blinds are available in the market. Other than the classic roller shades, you can also buy roman shades, honeycomb blinds, insulated blinds and even the much in fashion sheer blinds. Available in different materials like vinyl, aluminium, wood, faux-wood and polyester, there is enough to choose from. Each type and materials has its own strength and durability.
Beauty treatment for your blinds: For long- lasting blinds, it’s important to use the right tools and techniques.
How to Clean the Blinds
- Before starting your thorough cleaning, it is important to use a feather or cloth duster to remove all the dust from the blinds.
- Then, use a vacuum cleaner that has a soft brush attached to clean the parts, which your duster couldn’t reach
- Now for the stubborn stains, use a clean cloth and lightly dab some mild dishwashing detergent on it.
- Use a sponge or paper towel to rub the detergent lightly on the stain. Don’t scrub too hard, and try to be as gentle but firm as possible.
- Wipe away the detergent, and use a clean wet towel to wipe the area clean.
- Anti-dust spray can also be used on some materials.
- A bath-tub or hose pipe might be needed for those extreme cases when the blinds have not been cleaned for a long time. In such cases it is advisable to remove the blinds and wash it with a hosepipe.
- Or else, you can fill up a bathtub with water, put some detergent and soak the blind. Use a handheld brush to rub the blind gently. A word of caution here is to avoid soaking the blind for long as it might damage the material. Soak, rinse and dry in quick succession.
- Keep the blinds fully extended till they dry up completely.
Called by different names the world over, like “jaluzele” by Romanians, “perseienner” in Sweden, “kaihtimet” in Estonian, blinds today are not only a necessity, but are also accessories to beautify homes.
However, blinds can have a place of pride in your home only if you maintain them properly. With regular cleaning and maintenance of your blinds, you can achieve your mission of an ‘allergy-free’ home.
Daniel Whitton works for specialist kaihtimet manufacturer. They offer a variety of awnings and blinds at competitive prices. You could also visit their website, to place an order for the product of your choice.